Coffee, Forever Unfinished

|
It doesn't matter when I drink coffee. It doesn't matter where the coffee came from. It certainly doesn't matter how badly I need the caffeine. One fact remains:

My coffee is never finished.

The mug is never empty. There's always some at the bottom, cold. I'm actually starting to believe it's brewed that way. The first little bit must go in cold, and the rest goes in hot.

Do people actually drink the last bit of coffee? Is that a real thing? I have never seen someone take that last gulp of coffee, and I've certainly never seen someone do it with an expression that says, "Ah, satisfaction." I can't even imagine their life. Either they're so free and alone that they can finish a cup of coffee in one sitting before it gets cold, or they're so desperate for caffeine that they down the whole thing in an attempt to function. I don't envy either.

Some days, I pass by my cold mug of unfinished coffee and wonder how much money was wasted. Some days, I sigh Napoleon Dynamite-style and wonder why I even bothered. And every now and then, as I pour the rest of my now-cold coffee in the sink, I think about the glorious day when I can finish my coffee while it's hot. Or just finish it, period.

BUT THEN! Then, I realize I don't really want that day to come. What would that mean if it did? The first and most obvious answer is that I wouldn't have young kids living with me. The day will come, sure, but why would I be sitting in one place long enough to drink coffee like that? Do people just sit for long periods of time besides the movies these days? If they do, did I suddenly become a different person that can do whatever she wants and still chooses to sit and drink coffee for some reason?

There's nothing wrong with that, unless you're me. If you're me, you'll always be frustrated with the unfinished coffee, but always fearful of the day that it isn't unfinished. If you're me, you can admit that motherhood isn't the end-all for your life, but still admit that you'll probably be a terrible empty-nester someday, at least for a while. If you're me, you'll remember that everything is a phase, which will make you want to cry for joy and cry for heartbreak, all in the same day.

You know what? I like sweet tea better anyway. It's already cold, and not once in my life has sweet tea made me think existentially. Not one single time.
1 comment on "Coffee, Forever Unfinished"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature