The Curse

|
There's this thing that pregnant women do. New moms do it, too. Not all of them, but enough of them that this is actually a thing that's been studied.

When you're pregnant, your whole body is changing. Let's not even address the bloating and the growing belly. You feel nauseous when you think that should be long behind you. You get allergies for the first time in your life. You have to cut a bunch of food out of your diet, and you have to be extra aware of the foods you do eat, just in case you can't have those either.

Maybe you never had a sense of smell because your jaw wasn't in the right place and it actually prevented you from having a sense of smell until after you had jaw surgery. But by that time it didn't matter because you'd already lived 18 and a half years without one, so you never learned to rely on it. And at 23, you still can't walk into a room and know what's just been cooking like everyone else can, and it's weird to you that others can. And then you find yourself pregnant, smelling things you still can't identify but you just can't ignore because the scent is filling up your nose and mouth and lungs and head, and you can barely tell if it's a good scent or a bad scent because it's strong enough to just be bad regardless.

There are so many things on the What Happens To Your Body When You're Pregnant list that it would be a much shorter list if it just had the things that don't change.

Things That Don't Change When You're Pregnant:
1. Your name.
2. ...Your age.
3. ?

See? Much shorter.

SO, it only makes sense that a woman (or a not-a-girl-not-yet-a-woman woman like me) would want to maintain a sense of control over her body and her life when all of it changes forever.

There's this thing that pregnant women do. New moms do it, too. Not all of them, but enough of them that I'm worried I'll be one of them.

They cut their hair. They chop it off. I don't want to do that.

Sure, some days I do. Some days, I'd love to have a short style. Maybe even for a couple of days. But that third day... The third day is the killer. I'm done with the short hair thing and I'm ready for the long hair thing. PROBLEM IS, the obvious. I'm not rich and famous and I don't have a team of people ready to make my hair look long when it's not.

I'll dye it. I'll dye it red or ombre or blue or something and lust over bangs I'll never get. But I won't cut it. I can't! I just can't.

None of this would be an issue if I didn't already want to change my hair.

In all of the crazy, I may feel a bit like I've lost control. I need something I can rely on to feel like myself, right?

RIGHT?
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature